Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Short moments on Inauguration Day

A stolen moment of pride at being touched.  In the rush of the instant, the second stills; frozen in time, excitement hovers in the air, palpable as a miniature sun.  In the middle of the room, four eyes watch; four ears listen.  A sticker gleams on the table, boldly declaring “I voted!” next to the book declaring our oft-claimed heritage.  The instant is broken by the chant on the televised coverage, a chant echoing both a well-known song and a well-felt sentiment: na na na na, na na na na, hey-hey-hey, goodbye.  I wonder vaguely if it can be heard from the helicopter hovering over the crowds.  A surge of pride again wells, quite possibly something I’ll have to get used to. As I peruse the new White House website, my heart rises to my throat as I am greeted by the front page declaration “Change has come to America.”  I hear Keith Olberman announce: I’ll say it first and then you at home repeat it.  The 44th President of the United States, President Barack Obama.  Go on, you’ll have to get used to it sometime. 

 

I don’t repeat it; I can’t repeat it.  I can’t speak, frozen in this moment of pride.

1 comment:

Luis said...

Nice!

It's funny because as MSNBC filmed his helicopter leaving, I started chanting that song...haha. It's good to know I wasn't alone.